Enable Gnome-shell 3D Desktop Effects in Virtualized Fedora 16
Due to a bug Gnome3 doesn’t load by default and only the failsafe Gnome 2 loads everything. However to enable Gnome3 or the Gnome shell with 3D effects in Fedora 16 guest installed using Virtualbox, you need to do the following:
1. After installing Fedora 16 Verne, install the guest additions as described here.
2. Disable SELinux within Fedora as described here.
3. Enable 3D Acceleration in VirtualBox Virtual Machine setting as shown below
4. Finally run one of the following commands to bring up the Gnome-shell. Both are only temporary solutions.
gnome-shell --replace &
nohup gnome-shell --replace &
The first command would work only till the terminal you ran it in remains open. Second command would run even if the terminal is closed, however it would create a file called “nohup.out” with all the screen outputs, you can delete it later on. I prefer the second approach over the first.
Possibly related posts (generated automatically):
- Install Gnome3 / Gnome Shell on ubuntu 11.04 (Natty)/Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick)
- Spice Up Gnome Menu with GnoMenu (Ubuntu 9.10 & Fedora 12)
- VirtualBox Guest Addition Installation Fedora 16 Verne
- Enable Restart X server (Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace) in Fedora 14 Laughlin
- $29: Speck Products See Thru Hard Shell Case, for 13-inch MacBook Aluminum Unibody/Black Keyboard
- Light Desktop Environment for Fedora 15 (LXDE or XFCE)
- Enable Gnome Menu and Pop-up Menu Transparency using Compiz
- Enable Restart X server (Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace) in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and Fedora 13
You might also like
|Install Gnome3 / Gnome Shell on ubuntu 11.04 (Natty)/Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) While Gnome3...||VirtualBox Guest Addition Installation Fedora 16 Verne If you installed...||VirtualBox Guest Addition Installation Fedora 15 Lovelock If you installed...||Install Compiz Fusion and Emerald Window Decorator (Ubuntu 9.10, Fedora 12) Compiz comes...|