Repair Crashed Hard Drive/File System Using fsck!
Well I just lost two posts due to an almost dead hard drive. This blog was running off an old Alienware laptop which had a really old 4200 rpm hard drive which was nearing its end, and then it did happen. The drive was so old that it started developing bad sectors, I tried fixing the file system by running this command:
fsck -t ext3 -r /dev/sdb1
fsck: File System CHeck is a very good linux utility. In the command the flag ‘-r’ means the file system would be checked in interactive mode, ext3 is partition type. /dev/sdb1 is the path of the partition I wanted to check. The partition should not be mounted, if it is mounted then unmount it. To find the name of the partition you can run the fdisk command like this
sudo fdisk -l
This would list out all the partitions for all the hard drives connected to your machine. You cannot unmount the partition which you are running your linux off, so easiest way is to connect the drive you want to run fsck on, using USB via an enclosure.
That did help for a while, but once the drive develops bad sectors, you can’t do much. I just reran it again and now I am going to see if I can boot with the hard drive and recover my two lost posts.
Update: My attempts to get the drive to boot failed, but luckily I had an offline copy of the website in Firefox cache in my windows partition, and I was able to retrieve all the lost posts. Just have to put firefox in offline mode and then try accessing my blog.
Possibly related posts (generated automatically):
- Transfer Ubuntu Windows Dual Boot Installation to New Hard Drive
- Clone VirtualBox Virtual Hard Drive (.vdi file)
- $63: Western Digital 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive
- $90: Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive
- $55:Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5 inch Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive
- $120: Western Digital WD Elements 3 TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
- $50: Toshiba 500 GB Portable External Hard Drive E05A050DAU2XM (Blue)
- $90: Western Digital WD Elements 1.5 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive
You might also like
|$63: Western Digital 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive Amazon's 10%...||$50: Toshiba 500 GB Portable External Hard Drive E05A050DAU2XM (Blue) Amazon has...||$90: Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive Amazon has Western...||$120: Western Digital WD Elements 3 TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Amazon has...|