Solution to Windows 7 Ubuntu 9.10 Share Problem
If you are here looking for solution to share multimedia (stream music/video) between Windows and Linux machine read this post instead. If you are trying to fix Samba share issue, read on.
I had been struggling to get file sharing working between Windows 7 computers and Linux machines (Ubuntu 9.10 & Fedora 12). The problem was, I could see the windows shares, but could not get rid of recurring login prompt (asking to enter user name password and workgroup). I tried entering all combinations of user name password and workgroup name, nothing worked.
It turns out the solution is trivial, you just have to un-install Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant. I just removed it and restarted my Windows machine and viola, I can access my Windows 7 share through samba, either by browsing or by typing this in the Nautilus address bar:
I observed that it was important to include the sharename, else it was dropping the user authentication. Also you would need to enter your user name and password and workgroup. Workgroup is by default WORKGROUP if you have not changed it for your windows machines.
If your problem is different from the one described here, then do reply with the nature of your problem and we would mail you the solution for it!
Possibly related posts (generated automatically):
- Access or Stream Windows 7 Multimedia Share to Linux
- Easily Backup Network Share for Windows 7 in Linux (Ubuntu)
- Solution to Laptop Overheating Problem
- Auto Mount Windows Partitions in Ubuntu 10.10, 10.04 Lucid
- Cross Platform Software KVM Switch (Share Keyboard Mouse Between Computers)
- Solution to Strange Error Thrown By Latex on Ubuntu 10.04
- Mount Linux NFS Share on Windows 7
- Compare Difference Between Two Files (Ubuntu, Windows, Mac)
You might also like
|Stream Multimedia from Linux Box (Enable UPnP on Ubuntu 10.04) Earlier I had...||Easily Backup Network Share for Windows 7 in Linux (Ubuntu) While there...||Access or Stream Windows 7 Multimedia Share to Linux Windows 7 samba...||Mount Linux NFS Share on Windows 7 One convenient...|